[Access-ip] Vacancy: Head of Access and Outreach Services - U. San Diego
Trevor A. Dawes
tdawes at princeton.edu
Wed Aug 10 08:19:12 CDT 2011
Job Title: Head of Access and Outreach Services Department
Location: University of San Diego, San Diego, CA
Organization Name: Copley Library
The University of San Diego's Copley Library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual to serve as Head of the Access and Outreach Services Department. As head of the department, this individual serves as a member of the University Librarian's management team. He/she serves as a liaison for one subject area and will be responsible for cultivating a strong relationship with the department through collection development, instruction, and reference work.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Head of Access and Outreach Services Department is responsible for supervising personnel, including 1 librarian, 5 staff, 2-3 graduate assistants and 25-35 work-study students and managing all areas of the department. The department includes circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery, San Diego Circuit, copyright clearance permissions, reserves, exhibits, inventory, stack management, building security, and disaster preparedness. As a department head, he/she serves as a member of the University Librarian's management team.
The Head of Access and Outreach Services Department serves as a liaison for one subject area and will be responsible for cultivating a strong relationship with the department through collection development, instruction, and reference work. Teaching responsibilities will include library research methods classes, course-integrated instruction sessions, and workshops. He/she provides outreach services to distance education students. This person performs all aspects of traditional and electronic reference services. He/she possesses expert knowledge of the Innovative Interfaces integrated library automation system and monitors and implements all Innovative modules for circulation functions. He/she communicates with USD Public Safety about safety, security, and difficult patron issues. Duties also include maintaining quiet study atmosphere in the Copley Library building and enforcing and following library and University polices. This person must be active at the state and national levels in the library profession, especially Access Services. This is a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position.
The Head of Access and Outreach Services Department is scheduled to work Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but may find it necessary to vary work hours one or two days a week or to work on a Saturday to provide supervision and must be able to flex work schedule during finals week.
· ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
· Knowledge of an integrated, online automation system
· Three years experience working in Circulation/Access Services or Outreach Services in an academic and/or research library
· One year of supervisory experience
· Strong customer-service orientation
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member
· Three to five years management/supervisory experience
· Experience as a liaison to an academic department
· Expert knowledge (power user) of Innovative Interfaces Circulation Module
· Knowledge of Web 2.0 tools, virtual reference, e-reserves and digital collections, and mobile technologies to support distance learners
· Two years experience working reference
Salary and rank are commensurate with education and experience. Librarians in Copley Library have faculty appointments and must demonstrate excellence in librarianship, research, service and otherwise meet reappointment, promotion, and tenure criteria.
USD is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
Benefits include health care, retirement, life insurance, and tuition remission. USD is a private, Roman Catholic university with over 7,800 undergraduate and graduate students. The university's website is www.sandiego.edu<http://www.sandiego.edu/>.
Formal review of applications will begin September 19, 2011, and continue until the position is filled. This is a new faculty position and the start date is immediate but can be negotiated.
How to Apply
This job ad may be accessed on the Human Resources' Web page:
To apply, follow these steps:
1) Click apply now and register as an applicant.
2) Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If you have difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at (619) 260-6806 or (619) 260-2725 and reference job posting IRC5069.
a) Letter of application
c) Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, University Librarian, (619) 260-2370, tsbyrd at sandiego.edu<mailto:tsbyrd at sandiego.edu>
Dr. Theresa S. Byrd
Helen K. and James S. Copley Library
University of San Diego
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110-2492
Phone: (619) 260-7522
Fax: (619) 849-8301
tsbyrd at sandiego.edu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the access-ip